What is the Citizenship by Investment Programme?
The Malta Individual Investor Programme (IIP) shall allow for the grant of citizenship by a certificate of naturalization to foreign individuals and their families who contribute to the economic development of Malta. Such certificate of naturalization gives the right of establishment in 28 EU countries through EU citizenship.
An application for a certificate of Naturalism under IIP may only be submitted to Identity Malta through the services of an individual or corporate entity licensed as Approved Agents. E & S Consultancy Limited are licensed to submit such application on your behalf. We will assist potential applicants throughout the application process and provide various other related services in Malta.
Why do I need a Second Passport?
Investment, banking, business and travel are all effected by your passport. Today, more than ever, your passport’s nationality carries a huge weight on your ease of doing things.
Banks have seen their regulatory requirements grow exponentially in the last 10 years. This has led these institutions to start rejecting customers simply by which passport the have. No, they have not started discriminating on nationality. The costs and risk of this increase in regulation just doesn’t make sense for banks to accept certain nationalities. A Maltese passport will allow you to open a bank account in most jurisdictions. This holds true both for personal and business banking.
Wouldn’t it be great to decide to go to Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong or New York and jump on your plane and just go? One of the most frustrating parts of a businessman’s hectic life is the advance planning required for every trip. You will not require a Visa for these and over 100 countries with a Maltese passport. Interesting isn’t it?
All these benefits will last for generations. Your Children and their children will also be able to get a Malta Passport and enjoy its benefits.
How long does the Malta Passport application take?
The application can take nto less than six months and no more than two years from the date of the application. The key milestones in a successful application are:
- Agreement of E&S as Approved Agent to act on behalf of applicant whereby 50% of the
assistance fee is to be paid up front.
- Receipt of application pack by E&S.
- Initial payments to Identity Malta, to include due diligence fees and the initial Non-Refundable Contribution Amount deposit.
- Demonstration of an acceptable health cover.
- Submission of pack to Identity Malta by E&S.
- Formal acceptance of application and documentation by Identity Malta with the request to receive due diligence fees.
- Facilitation to acquire a visa, if required, to enable applicants to visit Malta to finalise formalities.
- Issuance of Letter of Approval in Principle by Identity Malta.
- Fulfilment of the property and investment obligations.
- Preparation of biometric data to accompany passport application, (which may also be done in Malta).
- Requirement for the main applicant and all dependants aged 18 and above to take the Oath of Allegiance in Malta.
- Issuance of Certificate of Naturalization.
- Registration of civil status certificates (birth/marriage/divorce) with the Malta Public Registry.
- Processing of Passport Application Form and issuance of passport.
What financial and other obligations are there?
The following table outlines the financial and other obligations of the main applicant under the Individual Investor Programme.
Main applicant – Part Contribution of Non-Refundable Deposit
Dependants (0-26 and 55 onwards)
Renewal (of e-Residency Card)
|Contribution to National Development and Social Fund
Children under the age of 18
Unmarried children aged 18 and over, but below 27
Dependent parents and grandparents aged over 55 years
* of which €10,000 is payable as the Non-Refundable Contribution Amount
|Due Diligence Fees
Children aged 13 and over, but under 18
Unmarried children aged 18 and over, but under 27
Dependent parents and grandparents aged over 55 years
Passport fee, per applicant, if not already paid
Bank charges, per application
|Property Investment Obligation
Purchase of residential property valued in excess of €350,000 OR Lease of residential property, with minimum annual rental value of
In both cases the property must be held for a minimum of five (5) years and must not be let or sub-let.
|Portfolio Investment Obligation
Required investment in a prescribed investment
Investment must be held for a minimum of five (5) years
There are three other items of note:
- Applicants aged 18 and older are required to take the Oath of Allegiance in Malta (please refer to Section 22 hereunder).
- Evidence of comprehensive global health cover is required at submission stage of application with a minimum of €50,000 medical expense coverage per person (please refer to Section 24 hereunder).
- The names of persons granted Maltese citizenship under the Individual Investor Programme will be published on an annual basis, together with all the other names of persons granted Maltese citizenship under other provisions of Maltese Citizenship legislation.
- Applicants under the Individual Investor Programme may be medically inadmissible if the particular condition of the applicant may be deemed to place excessive demand on the health and social services of the country.